Re: different flavors

Bill Wohler wrote:
"Bruce Park" <bpark79@hotmail.com> writes:
-SNIP- <

  I'd be interested to hear if one can install Debian with only the
  first disk (assuming they have net access for the rest).

You sure can! The first CD is the only one I ever had. All I had to do was follow the instructions. After the reboot, if you choose to use the "network install" option, you will pull everything from the Internet as an option.

In fact, if your NIC is recognized by the "flavor" you are using, all you will need is 2 boot-floppies..."rescue" and "root"! I have done about 10+ installs of Woody here of the bf2.4 "flavor" using only these. I would advise getting the driver floppies too, just in case your NIC happens to need a "driver" module inserted, but my RealTek 8139 - based NICs were recognized without any additional drivers. If you view the "config" file you can get an idea if your NIC is recognized automatically. The key here is to choose the "network install" option as soon as you can...even before the base system is installed. This will kick you into a set of screens that configures your network and then pulls down the rest of the stuff from the internet. Works great on a broadband connection like a Cable Modem, etc.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-