Re: sawfish makes itself x-window-manager

Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 03:09:33AM -0800, Erik Steffl wrote:

not sure when it happened, I guess it was during dist-upgrade, but suddenly sawfish was the x-window-mananger (I definitely did not run update-alternatives).

is this a bug or intented behaviour? If it's a "feature, can it be disabled?

Yes, if set to automatic, update-alternatives will set alternative with the highest priority. If you run "update-alternative --config x-window-manager"
and select your preferred window manager, update-alternatives will go
into manual mode and will not change x-window-manager again until you
manually change it or reset update-alternatives to auto mode.

it happened few times already - after each incident I set fvwm as x-window-manager (using update-alternatives --config x-window-manager and pipcking fvwm).

looks like a bug in update-alternatives (dpkg), right? Is there any way to verify what happened? I mean is there any history of changes or something that I can check AFTER the fact (obviously, I cannot check before since I don't know it's goingto happen, and even if I knew there's nothing really to check).

  right now it looks ok:

jojda:/home/erik# update-alternatives --display x-window-manager|head
x-window-manager - status is manual.
 link currently points to /usr/bin/fvwm2
/usr/bin/xfwm - priority 20
 slave x-window-manager.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/xfwm.1.gz

  did anybody else noticed the same problem?

	erik