Re: configuring X

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 07:53:11PM -0500, Bruce Park wrote:
| Hello all,
|
| I've got a few questions regarding X. I hope that someone can help me to
| solve these problems.
| 1. I need to configure X so that I can use xfont-75dpi. I currently have
| xfont-100dpi and I cannot get rid of this since it will get rid of the
| x-window-system as well. So, can anyone please help me on how to configure
| this?

Don't worry about that.  The 'x-window-system' package is pretty
meaningless.  To see what files a package contains use 'dpkg -L'.  If
you run that on x-window-system you'll see that it is an empty
package.  It only exists as a convenient way to obtain all the various
components needed for a typical X installation (which it does through
dependencies).  I believe those "task" packages are going to vanish in
favor of 'tasksel' soon.  (you've run into one of the deficiencies
with the task packages)

| 2. I currently have twm. I would like to get rid of this and use sawfish.
| If and when I install sawfish, do I need to reconfigure X again?

No.  You can actually install the two of them side-by-side.  How you
end up running sawfish when you log in depends on how you currently
have X, sessions, and logins set up.  If you use gnome, run the
Control Panel and select the desired wm.  If you use "xsession", edit
~/.xsession to run sawfish instead of twm.

HTH,
-D

--
Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved
person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained.

--C.S. Lewis

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/