Re: usb mouse

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 03:32:29PM -0500, Bruce Park wrote:

| I fixed the problem. I actually had to put "mousedev" in the file
| /etc/modules or X wouldn't start.

Do you know why that is needed?  USB is a modular system.  At the
core there are the wire and logical protocols.  This is what allows
you to plug all sorts of devices into a USB socket.  At the software
level there is first the usb-uhci or usb-ohci (depending on which
standard your hardware follows) driver that interacts with the USB
controller on your motherboard.  Through that the kernel can get the
data packets from the various devices you plug into the bus.  Then
there's the drivers for the individual devices -- mousedev, keybdev,
pegasus, etc.  As I understand it the 'hid' module is the
encapsulation of all the identical operation common to all human
interface devices.  The mouse and keyboard drivers build upon that.

| Also, usbcore, hid, and usb-ohci aren't being used. I got rid of
| them and things still run fine.

Odd.

-D

--
You have heard the saying that if you put a thousand monkeys in a room with a
thousand typewriters and waited long enough, eventually you would have a room

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/