Re: Cheap CDs

Mark L. Kahnt wrote:

It is the master on my ide1 bus - would be /dev/hdc if I didn't have it
marked for SCSI emulation (now there is no hdc.) My traditional CD-ROM
drive is /dev/hdd (ie slave on ide1), an old 6x CD drive that predates
the availability of CDDA, but it works fine as a CD-ROM drive otherwise
- I just can't rip .ogg files from it (an entirely different matter that
isn't an issue for me.) I followed the HOWTO for CD burners
intelligently (I've been working with microcomputers for over a quarter
of a century, including coding on the metal and writing o/s code -
device drivers, memory managers, task managers, so I have a couple clues
on this, and can accept that sometimes, hardware just isn't up to the
task.)

I cannot replicate your problem because my cdrw is my only CD drive (mounted as /cdrom from emulated scd0). When I use Xcdroast to duplicate a data CD (duplicate CD > read CD > read all tracks) it creates an image, then I can write the image to the cdr. Obviously I cannot duplicate on the fly. Sorry.

I would guess that if you can produce an image file from your CDRW, the software is OK. Have you tried setting your CDRW to a lower write speed (< or = 6x) for copying on the fly?

Hth,

Chris.

--
:  ___   Chris Lale   <ctlale@coolscience.co.uk>                  :