Re: Cheap CDs

On Sun, 2002-12-01 at 12:21, Chris Lale wrote:

> Mark L. Kahnt wrote:

> >>xcdroast does data, too, you know.
> >>
> >>--
> >> .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
> >>: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user
> >>`. `'`
> >>  `-  Debian - when you have better things to do than to fix a system
> >

> > Okay, I know its messages indicate data, but it refuses to read any cds
> > I put into that drive, data or audio. I consider that a part of the
> > *Alpha* nature of the program, although it could also be a limitation of
> > the Acer CD burner I have, in which case I'm SOL with most any program.
>
> Is the Acer your second CD drive or your only one? It can be tricky
> setting up the devices in /dev. Look at the solution in the
> 'peripherals' section at http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/ for
> installing CDRW and configuring Xcdroast.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris.
>
> --
> :  ___   Chris Lale   <ctlale@coolscience.co.uk>                  :
> : /   \                                                           :
> : | <_/  My PC runs Debian GNU/Linux 3.0.                         :
> : \      Robust, secure and free operating system + applications. :
> :  \     Available at http://www.debian.org                       :

It is the master on my ide1 bus - would be /dev/hdc if I didn't have it
marked for SCSI emulation (now there is no hdc.) My traditional CD-ROM
drive is /dev/hdd (ie slave on ide1), an old 6x CD drive that predates
the availability of CDDA, but it works fine as a CD-ROM drive otherwise
- I just can't rip .ogg files from it (an entirely different matter that
isn't an issue for me.) I followed the HOWTO for CD burners
intelligently (I've been working with microcomputers for over a quarter
of a century, including coding on the metal and writing o/s code -
device drivers, memory managers, task managers, so I have a couple clues
on this, and can accept that sometimes, hardware just isn't up to the
task.)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org