Re: setting up USB

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 01:03:41PM -0500, Bruce Park wrote:
| Hello all,
|
| I'm still having difficulty in setting up my USB mouse for woody. Since I
| am currently kernel 2.4.bf2.4, my assumption is that the USB drivers are
| already loaded.

Don't assume.  Check.  (do you know what "assume" spells?)  First
    $ cat /proc/devices
Do you see '180 usb' in there?  If not then the driver isn't loaded.

Another check is
    $ dmesg | grep -i usb
you should see messages there about a USB controller and devices.

I don't know if that kernel uses modules or not, but if it does you
need to have these modules loaded :
    usb
    mousedev

| When I setup X, I chose /dev/input/mice for the my mouse
| path. Is there anyone that can help me getting this correct?
| As always, all help is greatly appreciated.

What does
    $ ls -l /dev/input/mice
report?  Are you using a static /dev or devfs?  (if you don't know
then it's the former;  if "ls -l /dev/.devfsd" shows a file you're
using devfs)

What does /var/log/XFree86.0.log say about the mouse?

The last question is really the first step.  You know that if the
mouse doesn't work in X, X will report a problem.  You can start there
and work your way backwards until you reach the root cause of the
problem.

-D

--
If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his
cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it,

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/