How to install proper Java? (1.3.1 or 1.4.1 SDK)

After installing J2SE 1.4.1 the non-apt way (*.tar.gz) I found it doesn't like the libraries it
finds on my Debian Woody (stable).
Went back to blackdown.org and followed instructions to add their site to my /etc/apt/sources.list
.
They say:

Add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list
deb ftp://<mirror>/<path-to-java-directory>/debian <dist> non-free
(replace <dist> with potato, woody or sid)

Had to play around with it for a while before deselect *update was able to get anything at all.
It ended up looking like this:

deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian woody non-free

With this entry, the update of the cache seems to run smoothly, but suspiciously few MB are
actually downloaded. When I ran dselect *select to install the J2SDK and demos (which do turn up
properly in the list), dselect warns that they depend on java-common and that seems to be missing.

And indeed, when I do install, not a lot happens and afterwards the stuff you would expect to find
like java, javac or javah are to be found nowhere on the HD.

Im getting the impression that the blackdown.org debs are broken. Can I just install from the
1.3.1 regular .tar.gz installer or will I get library problems from that like from the 1.4.1
installer?

Lukas

=====
    ** lukaslatz@yahoo.com    m. +31 (0) 6  19544439 **
    **                        t. +31 (0) 10 418 2023 **
    ** philips willemstraat 14B2   3051 PP rotterdam **
    ** IT'S A MAN'S WORLD DESIGNING TACKY INTERFACES **
    **         http://www.bambleweeny.com            **