Re: debian user vs. browser plug-ins

heya, i just got this stuff working last night, actually.  this is
what i did, but note that it uses stuff from non-free.

the flashplayer that i find the most reliable is the one
from macromedia themselves.  there's a package in non-free that
installs it: flashplugin, but there's a caveat that it needs a working
java runtime environment.  but hey, you want java too, right?

so, i've added the following entry in my sources.list:

deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian/ woody main non-free

and then

# apt-get update && apt-get install j2re1.3 flashplugin

without even restarting my web browser both java applets and
flash animations now work seamlessly in my version of mozilla.

anyway, just thought i'd throw my recent experience out there.

also, adding in my own question, does anyone know of a way to do this
just as nicely with stuff not from non-free?  i like to stuff as much
as i can with strictly free software, but last time i tried to get a
DFSG-approved jvm working at all, let alone with my web browser i met
with little success.  i've read through the nicely put together docs
in /usr/share/doc/java-common, but couldn't seem to get any of the
alternatives mentioned working.  anyone have experience with
this?

	sean