video card and kde

Hi everybody

I've got an ATI Rage 128PF video card. I am running woody with kernel version
2.4.18bf24. According to the manuals, it seems that I should use the r128
driver for my xfree86 configuration. However, the xserver it does not work.
When I try to use a desktop environment, it gives me the error  "no screens
found".

I tried also with "ati" and it did not work either. Then I choose "vesa" and
it worked ok, but........only gnome. I cannot load kde which is very funny.

The problem is that it does not return any error; it starts to load it and
suddenly freezes.

I've checked the whole xserver-xfree86 configuration again and I cannot work
out why I am able to use gnome (and fluxbox as well) but  I cannot load kde.

any ideas are more than welcome

Rodrigo