Re: video card and kde

On Thursday 28 November 2002 13:17, Rodrigo Agerri wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> I've got an ATI Rage 128PF video card. I am running woody with kernel
> version 2.4.18bf24. According to the manuals, it seems that I should use
> the r128 driver for my xfree86 configuration. However, the xserver it does
> not work. When I try to use a desktop environment, it gives me the error
> "no screens found".
>
> I tried also with "ati" and it did not work either. Then I choose "vesa"
> and it worked ok, but........only gnome. I cannot load kde which is very
> funny.
>
> The problem is that it does not return any error; it starts to load it and
> suddenly freezes.
>
> I've checked the whole xserver-xfree86 configuration again and I cannot
> work out why I am able to use gnome (and fluxbox as well) but  I cannot
> load kde.
>
> any ideas are more than welcome
>
> Rodrigo

If you can run gnome; the problems does not come from xfree86 but from kde (a
good idea to test to x server is to type X in console which start only X).

I suggest you to remove all file which begin with .kde
rm -rf .kde* in your home directory. This will delete all configuration files
from kde. You can also try to start kde from root to see if it is not a
permission problems. By the way, I have had sometimes to problems that kde
freeze. Usually, there were not problems after rebooting the system.