Re: Spam alert

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 23:59, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2002, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
>
> > > Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only from Debian lists.
> >
> > That is interesting, as I only have one particular type of additional
> > email since partaking in this list: Nigerian 419 fraud email. That said,
> > blocking the viewing of this list from lists.debian.org would be
>
> I don't suggest that. Instead, they should munge email addresses.
>
> > essentially irrelevant, as the group is also echoed in two Usenet
> > newsgroups: linux.debian.users and somewhere in the muc tree (I went to
> > type it and realised I didn't have the name all that handy, so I won't
> > wing it.) Usenet groups have long been grepped for spam addresses in the
> > message headers - that was a practice that came about over a decade ago
> > even in the FidoNet days, although then it cost the senders for direct
> > email.
>
> Nobody in their right mind uses a working email address on Usenet for a
> topic such as this. Gating a mailing-list to usenet without mangling (or
> better, removing them) is plain irresponsible.
>

> --
>
> Cheers
> John Summerfield
>
> Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only from Debian lists.

It depends - I wouldn't post to any newsgroup that is already of
interest to spammers, such as any of the alt.binaries groups, or
news.admin.net-abuse.* (where posters get spammed just out of spite.)
However, large parts of the Big-8 aren't that bad when it comes to
address harvesters - occasionally it happens on some groups where the
focus is related to a particular target market, but for most of those
groups, vendors learned that any sort of spamming was
counter-productive.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org