Re: What should I do after a power failure?

Please turn your line wraps on to 72 columns, your paragraphs are
coming through as one giant line each.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 11:08:49AM -0800, Fred Sloniker wrote:

> I know that powering the system off manually is a Bad Thing (tm),
> but I live in Cowville, so a black-out is always a possibility.
> It's also possible that my mom would turn the computer off out of
> ignorance, despite my attempts to educate her on computer no-nos.
> What do I need to do, if anything, to make sure my hard drive isn't
> hosed after a power-off?  Is there an equivalent to the Windows
> Scandisk-after-crash thing?

fsck will run on any filesystem not unmounted cleanly.  Killing power
is not unmounting cleanly.

Alternatively, you can run ext3 for a filesystem, which gives you the
ease of dealing with ext2 filesystems, but gives you journaling,
making it much harder to corrupt the filesystem due to improper
poweroff, disk removal, or other dirty unmounting.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user