Re: Spam alert

On 27 Nov 2002, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:

> > Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only from Debian lists.
>
> That is interesting, as I only have one particular type of additional
> email since partaking in this list: Nigerian 419 fraud email. That said,
> blocking the viewing of this list from lists.debian.org would be

I don't suggest that. Instead, they should munge email addresses.

> essentially irrelevant, as the group is also echoed in two Usenet
> newsgroups: linux.debian.users and somewhere in the muc tree (I went to
> type it and realised I didn't have the name all that handy, so I won't
> wing it.) Usenet groups have long been grepped for spam addresses in the
> message headers - that was a practice that came about over a decade ago
> even in the FidoNet days, although then it cost the senders for direct
> email.

Nobody in their right mind uses a working email address on Usenet for a
topic such as this. Gating a mailing-list to usenet without mangling (or
better, removing them) is plain irresponsible.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield

Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only from Debian lists.