Re: xmms not openinng its windows

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 10:32:15AM -0800, Ben Hartshorne wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've got a strange problem that I'm having trouble tracking down.
>
> The symptom:
> I run xmms (either from the command line or my gnome taskbar) and
> nothing happens.
> I run ps -auwx and i can see 4 or so instances of xmms running.
> I notice that the xmms gnome-applet has changed it's face (as it does
> when xmms is running) from a logo to the play, pause, etc. buttons.
> I click on play, and music starts coming out of my headphones.
> I can also run xmms-shell and connect to xmms, manipulate the playlist,
> play, pause, etc.
>
> Basically, xmms is running, and all other programs that interact with
> xmms work, but I don't see the windows.

Have you changed screen resolution lately (= played with
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 :-) ?

I can think of 2 reasons - one, both or none may apply to your case:

-  xmms simply doesn't open the window. yep. The window is actually
   optional... Try firing up xmms-shell (you listed it as installed in
   the bit I snipped below):
    xmms-shell> window main show
   to force it open

-  the main window may be positioned outside the visible screen area -
   extremely annoying. (I suspect that since xmms does it's own window
   management, the window manage cannot help much here)
   The window position should be in ~/.xmms/config - search for player_x
   and player_y - setting both to zero should put xmms in the top-left
   corner.  (Be sure to shut down xmms before writing the file). xmms
   should read it upon startup

[...]

> This happened today, and two days ago, but not yesterday.  Logging out
> and logging back in did not help, nor did restarting enlightenment.  I
> havn't tried rebooting.

I hope that you didn't use xmms yesterday - otherwise it seems rather
inconsistent...

A reboot would be unlikely to solve this anyway - rebooting is something
people on other OS's do.

> I have only recently started using xmms (at work) because I only
> recently got a sound card.  But it seemed to be working for a while
> there.
>
> I run apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade almost daily.
>
> I tried downgrading xmms from 1.2.7-1.1 to 1.2.7-1, but nothing changed.
>
> When I run xmms from the command line, I get the following output:
> libmikmod.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> libvorbisfile.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> Neither of these packages seem like they would be needed for xmms.
[...]

Sounds like one of the plug-ins: I got rid of it my disabling the mikmod
player in the xmms preferences. I never found out what that mikmod
thingie was...

But wrt libvorbisfile.so.0 : why not install vorbis-tools (or just
libvorbis0) - then you can play your favourite oggs in xmms instead of
running the risk of suffering from mp3 patent problems?

HTH

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com        http://karl.jorgensen.com