Re: Partition size

On Wed, 2002-11-27 at 11:10, Chris Lale wrote:
> Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
>
>  > On my 40 GB drive, I went with:
>  >
>  > /	1 GB
>  > swap	1/2 GB
>  > /opt	2 GB
>  > /usr	8 GB
>  > /var	4 GB
>  > /home	24 GB
>
> I read in the Debian installation manual (v.3.0.24, 24th May 2002
> section 6.4) that partitions greater than about 6Gb should be avoided.
> Does anyone know if this true? If so, why?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris.
> --
> :  ___   Chris Lale   <ctlale@coolscience.co.uk>                  :
> : /   \                                                           :
> : | <_/  My PC runs Debian GNU/Linux 3.0.                         :
> : \      Robust, secure and free operating system + applications. :
> :  \     Available at http://www.debian.org                       :

Knowing how long fsck takes on larger ext2 partitions, I would say that
it appears to have exponential load relative to the size and number of
files on a partition, and may be prone to complexity stressing the
review/rebuild process, but that may also be a stress of the filesystem
rather than Linux itself. That said, do you split it into several
partitions and use RAID on them - I can't see that as providing a hint
of a fraction of the actual disk operation performance ;)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org