Re: Low Disk Space (deleting /usr/share/locales) and printing

Hello Elizabeth,

Am 14:44 2002-11-24 -0600 hat Elizabeth Barham geschrieben:

>Dear Everyone,

>     1) Do I need all those locale files? LANG=C and if I understand
>        this correctly, I do not need *any* locale files.

I think, if you live in the USA it is correct.

use the Package 'localepurge' to remove it.

Then use dselect, and if you are in the 'Select' menu with all the
Packages, Press '<SHIFT> + R' to deselect the selections of dselect.

Now REMOVE with '_' all Packes you do not need like

groff-base, man, man-db, ppp, pppconfig, pppoe, pppoeconf

Do you work with the 2.4.XX Kernel ??? REMOVE 'ipchains'

Do you need 'iptables' ?

If you do not need exim (+1200kB) on your system, install ssmtp
(8kB), which will automaticly deinstall exim.

To find some unused libs, install deborphan, to find them.

Compile your own Kernel only with the options you need, and without
modules support (all compiled in). Do not use intrd so you can
remove the 'initrd-tools' and REMOVE 'modconf' with 2916 kByte.

I had installed the base of WOODY and striped down from 64 MByte to
35 MBytes. Enough space on my Conner 210 MByte to install other
stuff...

Good Luck
Michelle