From: Fred Sloniker [mailto:fizzit@pioneernet.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 11:09 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: What should I do after a power failure?

Hey, everybody.  First-time Linux user here (well, sort of; I've struggled
before with getting either Debian or SuSE installed, unsuccessfully).  So
far, I like what I've seen of Debian (mostly installation screens and
documentation); not only do I like the actual freeness of it (SuSE, for
instance, wouldn't give me any avenues for getting help or ways to upgrade
my version without me paying them cash), but the documentation is
friendlier, I think.  I'm sure once my 12-hour download finishes that I'll
have more questions, but for now, I just want to ask this:

I know that powering the system off manually is a Bad Thing (tm), but I live
in Cowville, so a black-out is always a possibility.  It's also possible
that my mom would turn the computer off out of ignorance, despite my
attempts to educate her on computer no-nos.  What do I need to do, if
anything, to make sure my hard drive isn't hosed after a power-off?  Is
there an equivalent to the Windows Scandisk-after-crash thing?

Sent via the WebMail system at webmail.pioneernet.net