Re: What should I do after a power failure?

Fred Sloniker wrote:

Hey, everybody.  First-time Linux user here (well, sort of; I've struggled before with getting either Debian or SuSE installed, unsuccessfully).  So far, I like what I've seen of Debian (mostly installation screens and documentation); not only do I like the actual freeness of it (SuSE, for instance, wouldn't give me any avenues for getting help or ways to upgrade my version without me paying them cash), but the documentation is friendlier, I think.  I'm sure once my 12-hour download finishes that I'll have more questions, but for now, I just want to ask this:

I know that powering the system off manually is a Bad Thing (tm), but I live in Cowville, so a black-out is always a possibility. It's also possible that my mom would turn the computer off out of ignorance, despite my attempts to educate her on computer no-nos. What do I need to do, if anything, to make sure my hard drive isn't hosed after a power-off? Is there an equivalent to the Windows Scandisk-after-crash thing?
fsck ~= scandisk; it'll probably run automatically if the system detects an improper shutdown (drives weren't unmounted, etc)

You might also want to convert your file systems to ext3 (from ext2), or an even more robust system. But converting to ext3 is easy, and offers a pretty good compromise between safety/speed/convenience.

Kent