Re: Modem IRQs, password & mail problems

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:08:33 +0000, "Karl E. Jorgensen"
<karl@jorgensen.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 04:13:06AM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:35:42 +0000, "Karl E. Jorgensen" <karl@jorgensen.com> wrote:
>>
>> >On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 07:42:18PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>I should have picked up on this before: my entry for gnats looks like
>this:
>    gnats:x:41:41:Gnats Bug-Reporting System (admin):/var/lib/gnats/gnats-db:/bin/sh
>i.e. on one line - it might just have linewrapped in your post, but
>better be sure...

That's cool - it was OK in the original file. Turned out it
linewrapped in the editor when I removed passwords etc. before posting
it.

>> >Basically that number is not found in /etc/passwd ... As a short-term
>> >measure, you can create a new user (adduser --uid xxx --gid yyy) should
>> >buy you time (make sure that this user cannot log in).
>>
>> Sorry. I should have said that x = 0 or 1000, ie. the usernames it
>> can't find are root and pigeon, whose userids ARE in /etc/passwd! I
>> also have a few directories - haven't found any pattern so far - in
>> which ls -l shows 0 or 1000 instead of root or pigeon for the
>> owner/group. Most directories are OK though.
>
>I hope that the directories that are OK are not owned by root or pigeon
>(that would imply an intermittent error. Yuck).
>
>I'm almost out of ideas... What does pwck and grpck say ?

HEY WOW - IT WORKS!! Thanks!

pwck hated my /etc/shadow. This had got screwed in a system crash (my
fault, not Linux's) and I got things working again by copying
/etc/passwd to it. Since nearly everything worked I figured
/etc/shadow had to be OK now! pwck deleted EVERY ENTRY in it and now
everything seems to be working.

whoami works, my screwed directories have come back to normal and I
can send mail to myself. Cool!

Next thing I need is a really good HOWTO etc. on how to get a BASIC
batch-send/receive email setup up and running.

Thanks again,

Pigeon