Re: computer dead; help!

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 00:36:13 -0500, Nori Heikkinen
<nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:

>on Wed, 27 Nov 2002 05:55:11AM +0100, Robert Ian Smit insinuated:
>> * Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [27-11-2002 05:39]:
>> > okay, i can now get in from elsewhere, so i'm less scared.  but
>> > still no video whatosever!
>>
>> Are you able to turn on the monitor and is it not receiving a signal
>> from your pc? Or is the monitor dead?
>
>sorry, i should have been more specific.  gotta learn not to post in a
>panic :)
>
>i can't turn the monitor on -- there is usualld a little LED that's
>green when the power is on and active, and there is no light at all
>right now.  i get absolutely zero video -- no console; no X; no BIOS
>when i boot up ... i tried a different power cable for the monitor,
>but no dice.  because i'm seeing no LED, i'm thinking this is a plain
>hardware failure.

When everything was working, if you turned the monitor on without
turning the PC on, did this LED come on a different colour or
something, and now doesn't? If so, it's almost certainly the monitor.

If it only ever lit up at all when receiving video from the PC, you
don't know yet if it's the monitor or the video card. Still more
likely to be the monitor though.

>> If the former is true and you have an AGP videocard, you can try to
>> reinsert it into its slot or use another computer to see if you can
>> get a display.
>
>yeah, i'm going to do some testing in a few days, swappng video cards
>(unfortunately mine's a weird one -- ATI Rage Fury Pro -- to go with
>my weird flat panel) and monitors with a friend to see what i can do
>... but it looks not so hot.  i'm going home for Thanksgiving for 5
>days, however, and won't be able to do anything locally until Sunday
>or Monday.
>
>has anyone had a monitor just up and die on them before?  did anything
>trigger it, do you think, or was it just random?

It's usually random, one minute it's working and the next kerpow!!!
usually due to the failure of some highly-stressed component in the
PSU or line output sections. In the case of the Samsung CQA4147 it's
due to the east-west modulation transistor being incorrectly mounted,
so that thermal expansion when it heats up in use eventually breaks
the solder connections to the PCB. This can result in the monitor
catching fire. Fortunately, it is quite likely to happen within the
warranty period. Samsung accept a 1% warranty return rate, which is
how I came to repair so many of these monitors.

Pigeon