Re: Modem IRQs, password & mail problems

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 04:13:06AM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:35:42 +0000, "Karl E. Jorgensen" <karl@jorgensen.com> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 07:42:18PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:

[...]

> > > 2) I have a dead file somewhere that is interfering with some userid
> > > stuff. Some of my directories give numerical user/group ids instead of
> > > root or pigeon. exim refuses to start with "can't get user name for
> > > userid x" errors, so no mail functions work. My /etc/passwd and
> > > /etc/shadow seem to be OK; they contain the following (and also a
> > > peculiar gnats/admin entry which I don't understand): (I haven't got
> > > round to setting up shadow passwords yet)
> > >
> > > root:onetwothreefour:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
> > > pigeon:wedontwantyourbloodywar:1000:1000:Pigeon,,,:/home/pigeon:/bin/bash
> > > gnats:*:41:41:Gnats Bug-Reporting System
> > > (admin):/var/lib/gnats/gnats-db:/bin/sh

I should have picked up on this before: my entry for gnats looks like
this:
    gnats:x:41:41:Gnats Bug-Reporting System (admin):/var/lib/gnats/gnats-db:/bin/sh
i.e. on one line - it might just have linewrapped in your post, but
better be sure...

> > > Any ideas where I should be looking for the fault?
> >
> >Basically that number is not found in /etc/passwd ... As a short-term
> >measure, you can create a new user (adduser --uid xxx --gid yyy) should
> >buy you time (make sure that this user cannot log in).
>
> Sorry. I should have said that x = 0 or 1000, ie. the usernames it
> can't find are root and pigeon, whose userids ARE in /etc/passwd! I
> also have a few directories - haven't found any pattern so far - in
> which ls -l shows 0 or 1000 instead of root or pigeon for the
> owner/group. Most directories are OK though.

I hope that the directories that are OK are not owned by root or pigeon
(that would imply an intermittent error. Yuck).

I'm almost out of ideas... What does pwck and grpck say ?

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com        http://karl.jorgensen.com