From: Andrew Perrin [mailto:clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 9:08 AM
To: Nori Heikkinen
Cc: debian-user
Subject: Re: computer dead; help!

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Nori Heikkinen wrote:

> has anyone had a monitor just up and die on them before?  did anything
> trigger it, do you think, or was it just random?

Yes, I have.  And it was even at Swarthmore!  'Course back then it was an
IBM green-screen monitor connected to my XT compatible. I replaced it with
the hot thing then: a 14" monitor that could do 800x600!

But yes - monitors do just up and die, often because some simple component
inside (e.g., capacitor, potentiometer) overheats.

I feel your pain. Happy Thanksgiving!

Andy

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu