changes to 'useradd' and related ???

Firstly, let me apologies for not appearing to have RTFM. I have. I have
searched web sites, mailing list archives and I have had no luck.

I am by background a BSD type person - sorry - but now I find myself
managing a 50/50 BSD/Linux environment. We have been migrating every Linux
system to Debian as and when the opportunity presents itself, and we rely on
apt-get to do updates etc. Not a single (non-kernel) issue until now.

At some point in October new version of useradd and related tools were
installed and ever since that time, usernames containing '.' characters
(i.e. 'peter.galbavy') are not allowed. The old users we added before then
worked fine, manually added passwd/shadow entries work fine etc.

Can someone with experience in this area comment what component actually
changed to be this strict with usernames (maybe incorrectly ?) and suggest
how I can hack (from source if necessary) a new set of tools to allow
useradd to work with '.'

The reason for using useradd (rather than anything else) is that we can then
have a simplistic central script that uses ssh to 'useradd' all out users on
all our *NIX systems. useradd exists on all our OSes and only those systems
that run debian and have been updated (around October) exhibit this
restriction.

rgds,
--
Peter Galbavy