upgraded kernel, lost eth0

I can mount -t smbfs now!!!  Thanks everyone!  I do have to modprobe smbfs but
I'll figure that out.

I ran apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-386 (not sure about that tsc crap on
this pentium 200) and it went pretty well.  However, when I rebooted I saw a
message flash by that said "eth0 device not found" or something like that.

After it booted up I was able to modprobe 3c59x then ifdown ifup (not quite
sure what order actually made it work) and lo and behold, I was back on the
network.  WHEW!!

Now where exactly is the log of the boot process?  I'm looking in
/var/log/messages and /var/log/kern.log based on timestamps, but I can't tell
what is different between the two and I DON'T see everything I see flash up
the screen during booting.  I still don't get grep, it tends to just hang
forever everytime I try to use it, and I can't figure out how to get it to
search directories without complaining.

And what else should I look at to try to figure out what's going wrong?