Re: ES 1370 not functioning (should never have been es1371 not functioning - sorry)

Andrew R Reid wrote:
> This has been bugging me for months - so I want to fix it.
>
> I have an ES1370 on my server that I would really like to get going so that > when I work on it on weekends I can have nice sounds when I an in gnome ;-)
>
> This is the result of lspci -v
>
> 02:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1370 [AudioPCI] (rev 01)
> Subsystem: Unknown device 4942:4c4c
> Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 208, IRQ 23
> I/O ports at 3000 [size=64]

The IRQ looks wrong to me.  Check the BIOS setting for "PnP OS".  It
should be set to "off" or "no"

> when I do a modprobe es1371 I get this
>
> Nov 27 17:07:04 cpserver kernel: es1370: version v0.37 time 12:29:49 Apr 14
> 2002
> Nov 27 17:07:04 cpserver kernel: es1370: found adapter at io 0x3000 irq 23
> Nov 27 17:07:04 cpserver kernel: es1370: features: joystick off, line in,
> mic impedance 0
>
> I did have a lot of settings in my /etc/modutils/es1371 file, but I deleted > them because I really didn't know what was going on and thought I would be
> better to start from scratch.
>
> I know I will need a
> alias char-major-14 es1370

I haven't done this here... What does it do?

> what I want to know is
> 1. Do I need an alias like alias /dev/dsp ?

No.  Once the card is "working" this is set up here.

> 2. What is the difference between sound and soundcore modules. Whenever I
> insmod sound it never gets used.

Dunno... The only module I have loaded here is the es1370.  The rest
(soundcore, etc) get pulled in also...sort of a "dependency".  I believe
things like the mixer, /dev/dsp/ etc are setup in those modules.  Here
are the relevant pieces of my current "lsmod" on a 2.4.19-686 kernel:
es1370                 24620   0
soundcore               3556   4  [es1370]
gameport                1484   0  [es1370]

> 3. How come I can't test my sound card with sndconfig (ie apt-get install
> sndconfig) even though this command worked with Red Hat years ago when I was > using that. When I run it it detects the card, but stops responding when it
> tries to play a sound.

I just installed it here, and it worked fine! I heard Linux talking.. I suspect it might have something to do with the IRQ setting, maybe.

> 4. Do I need to load any other modules to support this card?

no.  All I had loaded (before istalling sndconfig) was the es1370 module.

> 5. Do I need and pre-install lines in my modules configuration

The sndconfig program did some of this, but I didn't have it before and I can't tell any difference in operation.

> 6. Any other things that might help me with this confounded problem.

Not that I can think of at the moment.  All my ideas are contained above!

-Don Spoon-