ES 1370 not functioning (should never have been es1371 not functioning - sorry)

This has been bugging me for months - so I want to fix it.

I have an ES1370 on my server that I would really like to get going so that
when I work on it on weekends I can have nice sounds when I an in gnome ;-)

This is the result of lspci -v

02:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1370 [AudioPCI] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Unknown device 4942:4c4c
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 208, IRQ 23
I/O ports at 3000 [size=64]

when I do a modprobe es1371 I get this

Nov 27 17:07:04 cpserver kernel: es1370: version v0.37 time 12:29:49 Apr 14
2002
Nov 27 17:07:04 cpserver kernel: es1370: found adapter at io 0x3000 irq 23
Nov 27 17:07:04 cpserver kernel: es1370: features: joystick off, line in,
mic impedance 0

I did have a lot of settings in my /etc/modutils/es1371 file, but I deleted
them because I really didn't know what was going on and thought I would be
better to start from scratch.

I know I will need a
alias char-major-14 es1370

what I want to know is
1. Do I need an alias like alias /dev/dsp ?
2. What is the difference between sound and soundcore modules. Whenever I
insmod sound it never gets used.
3. How come I can't test my sound card with sndconfig (ie apt-get install
sndconfig) even though this command worked with Red Hat years ago when I was
using that. When I run it it detects the card, but stops responding when it
tries to play a sound.
4. Do I need to load any other modules to support this card?
5. Do I need and pre-install lines in my modules configuration
6. Any other things that might help me with this confounded problem.

I've read the kernel es1370 readme, the Kernel README.OSS, the kernel
README.modules, the latest sound HOWTO (it mentioned interrupt conflicts but
this isn't the case for me)
SOund is the one thing in Linux that really has me beat. If anyone knows
where I can get good information it would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Andrew R Reid
E-mail: andrew@cpplating.com.au