Re: upgraded kernel, lost eth0

Tim Verry wrote:
I can mount -t smbfs now!!! Thanks everyone! I do have to modprobe smbfs but I'll figure that out.

I ran apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-386 (not sure about that tsc crap on this pentium 200) and it went pretty well. However, when I rebooted I saw a message flash by that said "eth0 device not found" or something like that.

After it booted up I was able to modprobe 3c59x then ifdown ifup (not quite sure what order actually made it work) and lo and behold, I was back on the network. WHEW!!

Now where exactly is the log of the boot process? I'm looking in /var/log/messages and /var/log/kern.log based on timestamps, but I can't tell what is different between the two and I DON'T see everything I see flash up the screen during booting. I still don't get grep, it tends to just hang forever everytime I try to use it, and I can't figure out how to get it to search directories without complaining.

And what else should I look at to try to figure out what's going wrong?

The "dmesg" command will show most of the boot-up messages on your screen for the last boot....but not all. I think it stops recording somewhere after the init program is called. You probably will not see the setup of networking.

If you can access smbfs and your NIC by doing a modprobe after the boot completes, then all you have to to to automate this is to add them to the kernel boot sequence. You can use the "modconf" command to do this, OR you can just add those modules to the /etc/modules file. Either way "should' work, although I use the /etc/modules file approach... more out of habit than anything else.

The same thing applies for any future modules you might need...i.e., for your sound card, or to set up SCSI emulation for a CD burner, etc.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-