laptop questions

I've recently installed debian testing on my wife's old p-120 laptop,
and I've got a few questions about some laptop specific issues.

1) PCMCIA cards. We have a linksys ethernet card that is recognized as
an NE2000 compatible ethernet card. When I did the install, the only way
I could get it to be recognized for the network installation was as eth0
-- not as a PC card.

When I boot, the init scripts try to setup the network /before/ the card
is loaded. If I'm not on the network at the time, it's not a problem; if
I am, it means that eth0 goes unbound, and I have to do an 'ifdown eth0
&& ifup eth0' to get my connection.

Ideally, I'd like the network to start if and when the card is
inserted/recognized. How do I accomplish this?

2) I was going to ask about suspend features, but I just discovered
them!

3) My understanding is that the Tiny X (or kdrive) server is rolled into
the X 4.x series, but I'm not sure which server exactly to select. I'm
currently using the svga server.

Thanks in advance!

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney