Re: dist-upgrade: "trying to overwrite" errors

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 12:59:41PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 10:43:07AM -0600, will trillich wrote:
> | i'm going from potato to woody and ...
> | i'm getting things like this, a lot:
> |
> | <snip>
> | Unpacking replacement eeyes ...
> | dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/eeyes_1%3a0.3.12-4_i386.deb (--unpack):
> |  trying to overwrite `/usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-ee.png', which is also in package gnome-panel-data
>
> | E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> | what's the incantation to make this go away?
>
> Are you upgrading everything at once or are you trying to upgrade
> piecemeal?  If you're trying to upgrade one package at a time, then
> don't.  The problem you are seeing is that two packages contain the
> same file (at least, the files have the same path).  That's a problem
> because only one package can own any given file.  Sometimes developers
> move files around, and the result is that you need a new version of
> both packages.

this is with "apt-get dist-upgrade", even on the third and
fourth iteration. (the lather-rinse-repeat paradigm worked well
when i upgraded another potato to woody, so i'm trying it here
also, with less success.) not using piecemeal unless i see that
it's not installing things it tells me it needs, such as
"apt-utils". that's the only piece i've done by hand thus far.

> The potential workaround, if you really know what you're doing, is to
> modify dpkg's database so that it doesn't know the other package
> contains the file.  I had to do this to install both j2sdk1.3 and
> j2sdk1.4 from blackdown.  The file to edit is
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/<pkgname>.list.

ah, well, i don't know enough to even be dangerous there. i
thought apt (or dpkg) was supposed to handle the
inter-dependencies of things like this without a newbie having
to know all that stuff.

if "apt-get dist-upgrade" is stuck with "trying to overwrite"
errors, what's the newbie-friendly solution?

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 2.2;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #16 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
Why are *.rpm (RED HAT PACKAGES) considered spawn of Satan?
Because the Debian package system is a lot more sophisticated
than the one Red Hat uses; lots more inter-dependency information
is built in to a *.deb package. If you bypass that with an *.rpm
file, you're taking chances with your system. Try to "apt-get
install <debian-only>" packages if possible. (Also check out the
"alien" package if you must.)