Re: dist-upgrade: "trying to overwrite" errors

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 10:43:07AM -0600, will trillich wrote:
| i'm going from potato to woody and aside from having to

| i'm getting things like this, a lot:
|
| <snip>
| Unpacking replacement eeyes ...
| dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/eeyes_1%3a0.3.12-4_i386.deb (--unpack):
|  trying to overwrite `/usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-ee.png', which is also in package gnome-panel-data

| E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

| what's the incantation to make this go away?

Are you upgrading everything at once or are you trying to upgrade
piecemeal?  If you're trying to upgrade one package at a time, then
don't.  The problem you are seeing is that two packages contain the
same file (at least, the files have the same path).  That's a problem
because only one package can own any given file.  Sometimes developers
move files around, and the result is that you need a new version of
both packages.

The potential workaround, if you really know what you're doing, is to
modify dpkg's database so that it doesn't know the other package
contains the file.  I had to do this to install both j2sdk1.3 and
j2sdk1.4 from blackdown.  The file to edit is
/var/lib/dpkg/info/<pkgname>.list.

-D

--
Pride goes before destruction,