Re: ext2 vs ext3 vs xfs vs reiserfs

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:20:30 -0800 (PST),
nate wrote:

> Vincent Lefevre said:
> > On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 12:16:13 -0800, nate wrote:
>
> > Then, why is fsck necessary with ext3?
>
> tradititional fsck should not be with ext3's journalling turned
> on (sometimes people forget to mount it with the right options
> so the right journalling isn't enabled, I forget what these
> options are, just have read them in various posts on the
> topic).

So what do you do when the system complains about filesystem
errors on boot-up? A possible situation calling for fsck would be
when you have a bad cable or maybe two ide disks with
incompatible DMA/PIO settings. Sorry, if I parsed your statement
incorrectly.