Re: ext2 vs ext3 vs xfs vs reiserfs

csj said:

> So what do you do when the system complains about filesystem
> errors on boot-up? A possible situation calling for fsck would be
> when you have a bad cable or maybe two ide disks with
> incompatible DMA/PIO settings. Sorry, if I parsed your statement
> incorrectly.

I've never had this happen. I haven't seen a filesystem get unmounted
cleanly then come up and say theres problems unless theres a hardware
problem(which I have encountered on Asus A7A266, filesystem curroption
would be complete and immediate upon unmount). You could instruct
the journal to replay entries if needed, but other then that theres
probably not a whole lot to do.

if the filesystem was not unmounted cleanly the journal check would
run and replay any entries that were missed. if it was, I can't see
how the system would know there was any problems on the filesystem
because it was unmounted cleanly. The journal check is not a full
filesystem check though, not in the 'traditional' sense. It is supposed
to accomplish the same end result, just in a different manor, I don't
think it goes through all files and directories on the disk to check
them.

nate