Re: [OT] latex, pdflatex and graphics formats

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 02:31:47PM +0100, Jörg Johannes wrote:
> Hello Johann
>
> I'm not sure if we understand each other. I'll ask you what is unclear
> in comments below:
> Johann Spies schrieb:
>
> >\newif\ifpdf
> >\ifx\pdfoutput\undefined
> >   \pdffalse
> >   \documentclass[dvips,12pt,a4paper]{article}
> >\else
> >   \pdfoutput=1 \let\special\message
> >   \pdftrue
> >   \documentclass[pdftex,12pt,a4paper]{article}
> >\fi
> >

> This determines if I run pdflatex file.tex or latex file.tex and changes
> the documentclass accordingly, right? Cool, I always had to do that by
> hand.

Yes.  This was not related to your question but I find it handy to
have so I thought it might help somebody else.

> >\ifpdf
> >
> >   \usepackage[hyperindex=true]{hyperref}
> >   \usepackage{pslatex}
> >   \pdfcompresslevel=9
> >\else
> >   \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
> >   \usepackage[hypertex,hyperindex=true,colorlinks=false]{hyperref}
> >\fi
> >\begin{document}             % End of preamble and beginning of text.
> >\ifpdf
> >     \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.png,.pdf,.jpeg,.jpg,.mps}
> >

> This is my point: I want to be able to put
> \includegraphics{outfile-of-gnuplot} (this means outfile-of-gnuplot.eps)
> in the text without having to convert it from .eps to .png. (Or am I too
> silly to see that .mps stands for .ps and .eps?)

I think .mps is a metapost format
(http://www.2pi.info/latex/Includingeps.html)

I don't think you can do it without converting the image.

> >\else
> >     \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.eps,.ps}
> >
> Same here: \includegraphics{scanned-image} won't find scanned-image.png,
> will it?
>
> >\fi

This enables me to just specify

\includegraphics {image} with no need for image.eps or emage.jpeg or whatever.

Now I can run either Latex or pdflatex on the file without changing
the \includegraphics line.

Regards.
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "In the beginning God created the heaven and the
      earth."
                           Genesis 1:1