Re: [OT] latex, pdflatex and graphics formats

On 26/11/02 J?rg Johannes did speaketh:

> Hi everybody
>
> For my documents, I have to use both LaTeX and pdfLaTeX. The problem I
> have is, pdflatex does not (at least per default) understand .eps and
> .ps files. So I have to convert my .eps figures from gnuplot into .png
> for pdflatex in order to use them. The other way round, "normal" LaTeX
> does not understand the .png format, so any photos or scanned-in images
> have to be converted into .ps. My question now is: Are there any
> \usepackage{s} for making use of .ps in pdflatex and .png in LaTeX?
> Anything  better than
> for i in *.eps; do convert $i `echo $i | sed s/.eps/.png/`
> ?

    Personally, I use just LaTeX, and then convert my .dvi file with dvipdfm.
It does a great job, and I don't have to juggle two different graphics formats
or worry about the quirks of pdfLaTeX vs. LaTeX.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix