Re: [OT] latex, pdflatex and graphics formats

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:42:35PM +0100, Jörg Johannes wrote:

> For my documents, I have to use both LaTeX and pdfLaTeX. The problem I
> have is, pdflatex does not (at least per default) understand .eps and
> .ps files. So I have to convert my .eps figures from gnuplot into .png
> for pdflatex in order to use them. The other way round, "normal" LaTeX
> does not understand the .png format, so any photos or scanned-in images
> have to be converted into .ps. My question now is: Are there any
> \usepackage{s} for making use of .ps in pdflatex and .png in LaTeX?
> Anything  better than
> for i in *.eps; do convert $i `echo $i | sed s/.eps/.png/`
> ?

To solve this problem I use this in my template (I can't remember
whether this list or the latex newsgroup helped me with it):
-----------------
\newif\ifpdf
\ifx\pdfoutput\undefined
    \pdffalse
    \documentclass[dvips,12pt,a4paper]{article}
\else
    \pdfoutput=1 \let\special\message
    \pdftrue
    \documentclass[pdftex,12pt,a4paper]{article}
\fi
\ifpdf

    \usepackage[hyperindex=true]{hyperref}
    \usepackage{pslatex}
    \pdfcompresslevel=9
\else
    \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
    \usepackage[hypertex,hyperindex=true,colorlinks=false]{hyperref}
\fi
\begin{document}             % End of preamble and beginning of text.
\ifpdf
      \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.png,.pdf,.jpeg,.jpg,.mps}
\else
      \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.eps,.ps}
\fi

\end{document}               % End of document

Regards.
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "In the beginning God created the heaven and the
      earth."
                           Genesis 1:1