[PARTLY SOLVED - NEW QUESTION] Re: giving access to local X disply in procmail

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:42:36 -0600
Gerald Livingston <debuser@sysmatrix.net> wrote:

> I've dug through documentation all over the place and no go so far.
>
> How can I let a procmail recipe pop up a display using xmessage if the
> user owning the procmailrc happens to be logged in to a local xsession
> at the time it is processed? I keep getting the following error:
>
> Error: Can't open display:
>
> This is the recipe:
>
> #test case
> :0bc
> * ^From.*gvl2@sysmatrix.net
> |/usr/X11R6/bin/xmessage --display :0.0 -default okay -nearmouse -file
> |-
>
> I have xmessage working how I want from the command line, just can't
> get it to pop to the displat from procmail.
>
> I'll also need to add a "&" on that recipe so procmail won't stop
> there, right?

I now have this working, so long as I don't log out, then back in to X.
See below for my new question. Here is aht I have done to get it
working.

I'm using gdm and gnome. Every tim I log in my XAUTHORITY changes to a
new file in /tmp. So, after I get logged in to X I issue the following
command in a shell:

set|grep XAUTH>~/tempfile

then I use this .procmailrc snippet to let procmail use the X display:
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/mh/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir/
LOGFILE=$HOME/Mail/fetchlog
XMSG=/usr/X11R6/bin/xmessage
DISPLAY=:0
PROCX=$HOME/tempfile
INCLUDERC=$PROCX
#FAILDROP=failed.mail

Note the PROCX variable and the INCLUDERC. This sets the XAUTHORITY
variable in .procmailrc.

So, what I need now is a way to automatically issue that cat command
each time I log in through gdm. Does a gdm login even look at
~/.xsession? If it DOES, has the XAUTH already been issued at that
point?

And, lastly, is there a way to modify that tempfile when I log out of X
(make its only line say XAUTHORITY rather than
XAUTHORITY=/tmp/something)  so I can include a test in procmail to skip
the display recipe if XAUTHORITY is un-set?

Thanks,

Gerald

--
Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:
http://expita.com/nomime.html

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com