giving access to local X disply in procmail

I've dug through documentation all over the place and no go so far.

How can I let a procmail recipe pop up a display using xmessage if the
user owning the procmailrc happens to be logged in to a local xsession
at the time it is processed? I keep getting the following error:

procmail: Couldn't determine implicit lockfile from
"/usr/X11R6/bin/xmessage"
Error: Can't open display:

This is the recipe:

#test case
:0bc
* ^From.*gvl2@sysmatrix.net
|/usr/X11R6/bin/xmessage --display :0.0 -default okay -nearmouse -file -

I tried adding an su to the user's id but then it complains that su must
be run from a terminal (even though I used -c?).

I fixed the lockfile error (by not using one on the "c" recipe) and the
message drops into my mailbox by the next matching recipe just fine.

I have xmessage working how I want from the command line, just can't get
it to pop to the displat from procmail.

I'll also need to add a "&" on that recipe so procmail won't stop there,
right?

Configure your Email to send TEXT ONLY -- See the following page:
http://expita.com/nomime.html

gvl2 (Gerald)
AirBall the Rolling Basket Case (1969 Standard Beetle)
LifeSaver (1974 Bay Window Bus)
http://www.phorce1.com