Re: ext2 vs ext3 vs xfs vs reiserfs

On 26 Nov 2002 at 11:22am, Isaac To wrote:

:>>>>> "Matthias" == Matthias Hentges <eebe@gmx.net> writes:
:
:    Matthias> Ext3 is rock-stable since it is based on ext2 which is in use
:    Matthias> for many years and is well tested.
:
:You probably cannot infer the stability of ext3 from that of ext2.  The
:layout has been made mostly compatible, but the code has been changed for
:much more than what you can trust without trying it.

Are you sure?  I thought that ext3 was just ext2 plus journal.  In fact,
I've seen it suggested that you can safely revert from ext3 to ext2 by
simply deleting the journal file and editing fstab.  I seem to remember
seeing that on this list a while back as a way to shred files reliably so
that they could _not_ be recovered from the ext3 journal.

I went to ext3 a month or so ago on a live system and have had no
problems, but I haven't tried reverting to ext2.

Patrick

--
Patrick Wiseman                               pwiseman@mindspring.com
Linux user #17943                             *Google First, Ask Later*