Re: "Burn" CD audio to a file

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 09:56:54AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> >You won't be able to play it like an audio CD.  When your CD-ROM drive
> >does this, it does it at a much lower level; the OS just gives it
> >cd-player-style commands like "play" "stop" "skip", etc, rather than
> >reading the bits of music and feeding them to the soundcard.  The CD-ROM
> >is connected directly to the soundcard and just spews the music over
> >there without processing it at all.  So until you put the music under
> >the laser, you won't be able to test it "like and audio CD."
>
> I was wondering if there might be a driver to emulate that, though.

well, i've never tried this (but have used it for other things), but
try mounting it on a loopback device and playing it from that.

example:

# losetup /dev/loop0 cdimage.iso
$ cdplay -d /dev/loop0
# losetup -d /dev/loop0

i know this works for programs like dd, but i'm not sure whether or
not it would work for cdplay.  lemme know if it works :)

hth
	sean