Re: ext2 vs ext3 vs xfs vs reiserfs

Am Mon, 2002-11-25 um 16.32 schrieb Oleg:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone who is very familiar with these FS types summarize their relative
> features in terms of
>
> a) quality (bug content)

Ext3 is rock-stable since it is based on ext2 which is in use for many
years and is well tested.

Many people have reported problems (including data-loss) with ReiserFS,
but for most people ReiserFS works great.

I have no experience regarding XFS.

> b) reliability (resistence to HD failures and system crashes)

I don't know an answer to that.

> c) speed for workstation use

All mentioned FSs have sufficient speed for normal workstation use.

> d) compatibility (is it possible to convert from one FS type to another)

As you should well know, an ext2 FS can be updated to ext3 without
"formatting". For the other FSs you will need to erase the partitions
first.

For a more detailed information you should consult Google....
--

Matthias Hentges
[www.hentges.net] -> PGP + HTML are welcome

My OS: Debian Woody: Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice