Re: Stripping EOL feeds...

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 10:04:48AM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 10:32:14PM -0600, ZephyrQ wrote:
> > 	I'm trying to format the debian install manual (text version) for
> > printing and I'm trying to save a couple of trees.  Is there an easy way
> > to strip the line breaks so the text will come out unformatted?  This
> > way I can reduce the font and print whole pages of itty bitty debian
> > install text which, in my own sick way, helps me find info I need
> > quicker...
> sorry i am not an expert and myself learning to use vim. however, vim
> contain search and replace command. so basically we are trying to
> replace EOL with nothing. how exactly the command will look - i do not
> know :(

vim is really powerful once you get into the macro language
(there's probably a way to program a prime number generator in
there somewhere) but for the standard user interaction it's a
LINE-ORIENTED beast. you can split a line here to make two
lines, you can join two lines together to make one big one --
but for the most part you can't massage text across lines.

not without some serious hair on your macros.

finds "pattern" in all lines and replaces each with
"replacement". it doesn't span lines, it searches all lines.

vim is great, but it has its stumbling blocks...

I use Debian/GNU Linux version 2.2;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown
(11 matched vim)
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #47 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
Want to LEARN MORE ABOUT VIM? From inside vim (when you're
editing some text) try
	:help howto
	:help options
Type "ctrl-W ctrl-W" to switch 'panes', or "ctrl-W q" to close
one. (Try ":help CTRL-W" for more details on control-W.)