Re: Stripping EOL feeds...

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 10:04:48AM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 10:32:14PM -0600, ZephyrQ wrote:
> > 	I'm trying to format the debian install manual (text version) for
> > printing and I'm trying to save a couple of trees.  Is there an easy way
> > to strip the line breaks so the text will come out unformatted?  This
> > way I can reduce the font and print whole pages of itty bitty debian
> > install text which, in my own sick way, helps me find info I need
> > quicker...
>
> sorry i am not an expert and myself learning to use vim. however, vim
> contain search and replace command. so basically we are trying to
> replace EOL with nothing. how exactly the command will look - i do not
> know :(

vim is really powerful once you get into the macro language
(there's probably a way to program a prime number generator in
there somewhere) but for the standard user interaction it's a
LINE-ORIENTED beast. you can split a line here to make two
lines, you can join two lines together to make one big one --
but for the most part you can't massage text across lines.

not without some serious hair on your macros.

:%s/pattern/replacement/g
finds "pattern" in all lines and replaces each with
"replacement". it doesn't span lines, it searches all lines.

vim is great, but it has its stumbling blocks...

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 2.2;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

(11 matched vim)
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #47 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
Want to LEARN MORE ABOUT VIM? From inside vim (when you're
editing some text) try
	:help
	:help howto
	:help options
Type "ctrl-W ctrl-W" to switch 'panes', or "ctrl-W q" to close
one. (Try ":help CTRL-W" for more details on control-W.)