Re: can't cp files from dvd

On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 20:09, Michael Heironimus wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 06:00:50PM -0800, ric@otte.ucsc.edu wrote:
> > I assume that dvds are not iso9660 format, and that may be why I can't
> > cp them.  If so, does anyone know what I should have in my /etc/fstab
> > file?  Thanks,
>
> As I recall, DVDs use the UDF filesystem. I'm not sure if Debian gives
> you a kernel with UDF support, though. It's been a long time since I
> looked at the UDF driver, I'm not even sure if it's still being actively
> worked on.

The udf.o in 2.4.19 works like a champ when reading DVDs that were
created with:
 $ mkisofs -r -J -udf -o foo.raw /blah/blah
 $ cdrecord-wrapper.sh dev=1,0,0 -v foo.raw
with this as the excerpt from /etc/fstab:
/dev/scd2 /dvd-rw udf defaults,user,noauto,ro,async,noatime  0  0

Just now, when I tried to cp the *.VOB files from a movie disk
mounted udf onto /dvd-rw, I got the same "Input/output error".

Could it be because a df shows that there are 8011M of data on
the disk, and my dvd-rw drive is only supposed to be able to
read 4.7GB disks in "file system" mode?  I wouldn't doubt it...

HTH...
| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "they love our milk and honey, but preach about another    |
|  way of living"                                            |
|    Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me"                |