Lilio 01 01 01

I have a problem with Lilo:

I wanted to make a test installing Lilo on a floppy first.
But all I get is a screen full of '01 01 01'.

I have found on the net that many people had this problem
when trying to boot a partition on the second IDE controller
from Lilo.  The recommandation is to plug the hd to the first
controller, which is not an option here.  But there must be
another solution, I'm sure...

It seams that also the following contributes (or is) the problem:
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
:-(

/etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/fd0
prompt
delay=110	<= the distinction is not really clear to me
timeout=120	<= but I have tried both alone and together...
lba32
# compact
vga=normal
# install=/boot/boot.b
read-only

# Debian Woody:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4
root=/dev/hdd3
label=l

I have experimented with commenting out and in lba32, compact, and
install=/boot/boot.b.  It does not make a difference.
Lilo does *not* prompt and wait for user input but fills the screen
with '01 01 01' and then hangs...

(Yes, I *did* run lilo and I *have* tested with another floppy medium)

Robert Epprecht