Re: ssh and X very, very strange problems

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 12:52:40PM -0600, matt wrote:
> Hi everyone.  I've been using Debian (potato) since r0, and have always
> loved it.  The lists always had the answers to all my questions and i was
> happy.  Now, a $10 PII266 compaq deskpro 4000 fell in my lap.  After
> throughing a matrox mistique 220 video card in i did a net install of
> woody.  none of the common packages were installed (normal for woody?) so
> i went around apt-getting ssh2, X, etc.  here's my problems:
>
> 1)  X windows issue.  X works fine....BUT.  when i switch to console
> (ctrl-alt-F1) and then back to X (alt-F7) the mouse pointer/cursor in X
> turns into a big white box with a little black underscore in the upper
> left.  I have the mga framebuffer(not for X) runing all the time.

I have a Matrox Mystique running X (without framebuffer) and framebuffer
console (mga) without any problems. Back in April, a cursor being a
large box in X was mentioned and adding "HWCursor no" to the Device
section of your XF86Config-4 was suggested, although my XF86Config-4
does not have that in it.

Exerpt from my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

  Section "Device"
      Identifier  "Matrox Mystique"
      Driver      "mga"
  EndSection

> 2)  SSH2 funkyness.  I can ssh into my woody machine from my old potato
> machine.  but whenever i try from my windoze machine, the connection
> times out (as though there were no machine at that IP address).  tried
> putty and securecrt.  both set to ssh2 etc.  ssh2 config file is set up
> exactly the same as the (fully functional) potato machine.  (dosn't have
> to reverse-resolve hostnames etc.)

Have you checked to see if the Windows system is allowed to connect to
ssd2?  (take a look in /etc/hosts.allow)

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com