ssh and X very, very strange problems

Hi everyone.  I've been using Debian (potato) since r0, and have always
loved it.  The lists always had the answers to all my questions and i was
happy.  Now, a $10 PII266 compaq deskpro 4000 fell in my lap.  After
throughing a matrox mistique 220 video card in i did a net install of
woody.  none of the common packages were installed (normal for woody?) so
i went around apt-getting ssh2, X, etc.  here's my problems:

1)  X windows issue.  X works fine....BUT.  when i switch to console
(ctrl-alt-F1) and then back to X (alt-F7) the mouse pointer/cursor in X
turns into a big white box with a little black underscore in the upper
left.  I have the mga framebuffer(not for X) runing all the time.

2)  SSH2 funkyness.  I can ssh into my woody machine from my old potato
machine.  but whenever i try from my windoze machine, the connection
times out (as though there were no machine at that IP address).  tried
putty and securecrt.  both set to ssh2 etc.  ssh2 config file is set up
exactly the same as the (fully functional) potato machine.  (dosn't have
to reverse-resolve hostnames etc.)

I've been all over google web and debian lists and havn't been able to
find an answer to either of these questions.  please help!

thanks to all the people who make debian happen,
-matt

P.S.  you can CC me replies if you like.
--
http://fastmail.fm - A fast, anti-spam email service.