Re: ssh and X very, very strange problems

I'll try adding that line to my xf96 config file when i get home.  as for
the hosts.allow file...that's the first thing i thought of.  so i
compared it aginst my working potato system.  they're both the exactly
the same.  if memory servers me hosts.deny has all.parinoid and
hosts.allow is blank.  this actually supprised me...shouldn't the
parinoid deny all my local machings since they don't reverse-resolve to a
hostname?

thanks,
-matt

P.S.  my list subscription seems to have taken a dump.  so please CC
replies to my e-mail.  I get nothing from the list servers.  thanks.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 12:52:40PM -0600, matt wrote:
> Hi everyone.  I've been using Debian (potato) since r0, and have always
> loved it.  The lists always had the answers to all my questions and i was
> happy.  Now, a $10 PII266 compaq deskpro 4000 fell in my lap.  After
> throughing a matrox mistique 220 video card in i did a net install of
> woody.  none of the common packages were installed (normal for woody?) so
> i went around apt-getting ssh2, X, etc.  here's my problems:
> > 1)  X windows issue.  X works fine....BUT.  when i switch to console
> (ctrl-alt-F1) and then back to X (alt-F7) the mouse pointer/cursor in X
> turns into a big white box with a little black underscore in the upper
> left.  I have the mga framebuffer(not for X) runing all the time.

I have a Matrox Mystique running X (without framebuffer) and framebuffer
console (mga) without any problems. Back in April, a cursor being a
large box in X was mentioned and adding "HWCursor no" to the Device
section of your XF86Config-4 was suggested, although my XF86Config-4
does not have that in it.

Exerpt from my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:

  Section "Device"
      Identifier  "Matrox Mystique"
      Driver      "mga"
  EndSection

> 2)  SSH2 funkyness.  I can ssh into my woody machine from my old potato
> machine.  but whenever i try from my windoze machine, the connection
> times out (as though there were no machine at that IP address).  tried
> putty and securecrt.  both set to ssh2 etc.  ssh2 config file is set up
> exactly the same as the (fully functional) potato machine.  (dosn't have
> to reverse-resolve hostnames etc.)

Have you checked to see if the Windows system is allowed to connect to
ssd2?  (take a look in /etc/hosts.allow)

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com

--