Re: Help with monitor/video config

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 16:58:44 -0500, Matt Tulini
<deprofundis@comcast.net> wrote:

>Hi folks, I was actually able to get Xserver and KDE up by running
>'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'!  I printed out Sean and Stephen's
>suggestions and tried Stephen's first because it was the simplest.  I'm
>not sure if it works as well as it could though, I should probably
>compile the right module into the kernel like Sean suggested.  One thing
>I notice, I got it running at 1024x768 w/16 bit color (like I wanted),
>although I don't know the refresh rate.  I'd like it to be 85 Hz but I
>suspect it's 75.

Find the ModeLine in your XF86Config for your 1024x768 screen. The
first number is the pixel clock (dot clock). Multiply it by (85/75)
and everything else scales in proportion. Just make sure you are still
within the sync range of your monitor.

If you haven't got a Modeline run xvidtune and copy the numbers into
one:
ModeLine "1024x768" "dotclock h hsyncstart hsyncend htotal v
vsyncstart vsyncend vtotal" (names might be slightly off but ordering
is OK)

see man XF86Config for more on modelines.

Pigeon