Upgrade source package confusion

I use libssl0.9.6 from a self-compiled source package. As far as I
know, I have followed the guidelines for compiling src debs.

At first I used the version from unstable which seems to be the
default when you apt-get a source package. Since the machine is too
slow for "casual" recompiling, I now use the version from stable.

When I do an apt-upgrade, a security update is available for
libssl0.9.6. However I can't find any new issues wrt ssh/ssl.

I have tried to figure out if the new binary package is indeed
different from the one I compiled, but can't come up with the
answer.

Here is the information I use:

#=======================>
# dpkg -l libssl0.9.6
+++-==============-==============-==============================
ii  libssl0.9.6    0.9.6c-2       SSL shared libraries

# apt-get upgrade -s
Conf libssl0.9.6 (0.9.6c-2.woody.1 Debian-Security:3.0/stable)

# apt-cache policy
libssl0.9.6:
  Installed: 0.9.6c-2
  Candidate: 0.9.6c-2.woody.1
  Version Table:
     0.9.6g-10 0
        500 ftp://ftp.debian.nl unstable/main Packages
     0.9.6g-6 0
        500 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl testing/main Packages
     0.9.6c-2.woody.1 0
        990 http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages
     0.9.6c-2 0
        990 ftp://ftp.nluug.nl stable/main Packages
 *** 0.9.6c-2 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I don't know if I should upgrade or concentrate on pinning the
current package I have.

What other information do I need? How to interpret this
information?

I will reread all the documentation, but I thought I had a basic
understanding of package management already. Seems I need to get
more informed.

Any insight to help this clueless soul would be warmly welcomed.

Bob