ide-scsi and initrd

I just upgraded one of my machines to kernel-image-2.4.18-686-smp.  This
box has an IDE cd burner that previously worked with 2.2.20-udma100-ext3.
It also has a regular IDE cd-rom that I've been treating as a scsi device
just because.  All filesystems are on SCSI (Adaptec on the motherboard).
For the 2.2.20 kernel, I had the following line in /etc/lilo.conf:

append="hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi"

And then installed ide-scsi from /etc/modules.

When I upgraded, that stopped working because the ide-cd driver is now a
module.  So I added an /etc/modultils entry "cdrw" per the CD-Writing
HOWTO:

options ide-cd ignore="hdb hdc"
alias scd1 sr_mod
pre-install sg       modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install sr_mod   modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd

That "works" in that all the right modules get loaded, but I still can't
use the cd burner.  It seems that ide-cd is getting loaded earlier in the
boot process and grabbing the cd-rom devices.  I mounted the initr.img and
looked around and it appears that for some reason ide-cd is getting loaded
in the loadmodules script.

So I did "mkinitrd" to update my initrd.img with the new modules.conf.
That causes a spew of "can't create /var/log/ksym[date].log, read-only
filesystem" right after the Adaptec driver gets loaded (before switching
root filesystems).

So, I put everything back to the original configuration, rebuilt
initrd.img, and got it all working again.  Then I wrote a script to remove
the ide-cd and cdrom modules and install ide-scsi.  Made that run as
S99local in /etc/rc2.d.  This works, but sure is ugly.

So my questions is what is the proper Debian way of getting ide-scsi
working with an initrd kernel?

And along the same lines, what is the proper procedure when upgrading from
non-initrd kernels to initrd ones when the root filesystem is scsi?  What
I did was to add the proper Adaptec driver to /etc/modules and then run
mkinitrd.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking